Air Freight and Logistics at Leipzig/Halle Airport
Leipzig/Halle Airport is one of the fourth largest freight hubs in Europe. With annual freight volumes totalling more than 1.38 million tonnes, Leipzig/Halle Airport is Germany’s second-largest cargo hub. The DHL Express, Aerologic, Antonov Logistics Salis as well as CargoLogicGermany logistics companies have their main base at Leipzig/Halle Airport. At the beginning of November 2020 Amazon Air have taken up their operations at their first-ever regional air hub in Europe. In total more than 60 cargo aircraft use the airport round the clock to handle freight from all over the world.
Leipzig/Halle Airport offers cargo airlines ideal conditions for long-term growth: modern infrastructure, high service standards and individually adapted logistics services guarantee short routes, professional handling and therefore short turnaround times for general and special cargo as well as for e-commerce and express freight. PortGround, a subsidiary of the Central German airports, provides many services in this field.
Located at the heart of Europe, Leipzig/Halle Airport has ideal links to the German and international transport networks. The infrastructure at and near the airport offers many benefits:
- 24/7 flight operations – 24/7 services
- Two runways – Cat IIIB – code F – each 3.600 metres long
- Accelerated procedures for issuing landing and import permits
- Extremely modern freight terminal equipment
- World Cargo Center (20,000 m²) with direct airside access
- 70 scheduled and charter freight flights per day
- Global connections to more than 200 airports
- Global logistics services providers at the airport
- Maintenance for cargo aircraft
- 2019: handled more and 1.24 million tonnes of freight
- Rapid and easy access to the German and international motorway networks
- Door-to door / ex works solutions
- Regular trucking operations as well as ad-hoc arrangements
- Spacious and easily accessible truck loading and unloading facilities
- Cargo Transport Centre with seaport link at the airport site
- 24/7 handling for container trains – turnaround within 4 hours
- Possible to handle containers measuring up to 45 feet
- Direct road links to the most important and largest business parks
- Smooth links to air freight services
- Direct connections to all the European markets via own trucking network
- 2019: more than 262,000 tonnes of maritime freight handled
- Seaport link via daily goods trains operating to the most important European ports
- Container storage, on request
The e-commerce business sector is growing rapidly. We support you by handling your freight in a very short time and catering fully to your individual needs.
Leipzig/Halle Airport offers first-class access to the German and European markets round the clock. Its central location and the short trucking times to important European business areas offer perfect conditions for ideally serving the constantly growing e-commerce business sector.
- In-house customs service (for EU customs clearance)
- X-ray/visual checks, explosive trace detection systems (ETD) and sniffer dogs (EDD)
- Fulfilment services: Scanning, packaging, sorting
- Flexible storage: bonded and non-bonded warehouses
- 24/7 customer service hotline
- Handling all kinds of freight and aircraft
- Extensive trans-European trucking network: deliveries to/from the airport and to/from individual sites in Germany and Europe
- Specialist supply chain partner
- Scheduled and charter traffic
- Quality checks and quality assurance
- Regulated Agent, AEO-F, IATA CASS Agent
- Sales team in China
- Chinese-speaking sales and service desk
A refrigerated warehouse is available for your freight at the World Cargo Center at Leipzig/Halle Airport; it can accommodate the complete temperature-sensitive cargo from a B747F aircraft. The facility has direct access to the apron area and therefore guarantees short transport routes to and from aircraft and trucks.
The refrigerated centre enables the parallel storage of pharmaceutical items, perishable goods and temperature-sensitive products that may not be exposed to frost or heat during transportation and storage. It is possible to store measuring apparatus and intermediate products for the semiconductor industry without any problems at the World Cargo Center too.
Our refrigerated warehouse ensures ideal conditions for storing medical products. As an IATA CEIV PHARMA certified facility, it is fully compliant with international requirements as well as the European GDP (Good Distribution Practice) regulatory guidelines. The refrigeration equipment allows storage temperatures of between +2°C and +25°C. Access checks, video and temperature monitoring guarantee the highest levels of reliability in the warehouse system.
Installations and equipment
- 400 m² of refrigerated storage space for up to 24 ULD cooling units and 100 pallets
- Three individual temperature-controlled areas (2°C - 25°C)
- Short routes to/from trucks/aircraft
- Secure and controlled access
- Temperature monitoring and checks
- Integrated messaging alarm system and video surveillance
- Handling by PortGround – a Regulated Agent and Authorized Economic Operator (AEO-F)
- Special temperature-controlled transportation to/from trucks/aircraft
- Parallel storage of perishable and/or pharmaceutical items
- ULD insulation hoods available
- GDP certified
- CEIV certified
Leipzig/Halle Airport offers ideal conditions for transporting live animals. If you want to ship large animals, Leipzig/Halle Airport is your reliable partner.
Our experts are available to help you round the clock and ensure stress-free handling for your animals. A personal key account manager looks after you and the needs of your animals and ensures short transit times, maintains direct customer contact, coordinates the shipment and communicates with the partners required for it:
- The latest equipment to handle large animals
- Truck parking spaces directly in front of the cargo area
- Short routes to apron areas
- Experienced IATA-certified personnel for all aircraft types and all kinds of freight, including large animals (e.g. cattle or horses)
- Vets on the spot
- 24/7 customs clearance
Other benefits provided by our facilities:
Centre for animal exports
- Many years of experience and extensive expertise in handling animal exports at our dedicated 1,300 square metre animal export centre.
- You can use the expansive delivery area to exercise your animals, if necessary. Support personnel for the animals have access to rooms for resting.
- Large animal pens – especially for horses – and several other pen facilities guarantee that the animals are treated properly. Veterinary personnel and customs officers are available at the airport round the clock.
- There are only four airports authorised to export cattle in Germany. Leipzig/Halle is one of them.
- Our experts are professionals in setting up cattle pens according to IATA’s Live Animal Regulations (AVI).
- A quarantine facility forms part of the veterinary border inspection point.
- The airport has a veterinary border inspection point.
- The inspection point is authorised to import animals from other countries and look after them during transit.
Veterinary border inspection post
Saxony’s only veterinary border inspection post is approved for the import of animals and agricultural products in compliance with European Union regulations.
Our inspectors ensure that all products comply with EU food law requirements.
In-house customs broker for EU customs clearance
- Experienced in-house customs broker specialising in EU trade tariffs for general air cargo and e-commerce shipments
- 24/7 customs clearance
- Customs clearance before arrival possible
- Experience in providing customs clearance for products in all kinds of sectors and value classes
- Customs clearance in line with the Customs Code of the European Union
- Supporting IT system for fast and simple clearance for e-commerce shipments
Route planner for cars
Plan your route to the most important freight and logistics sites at Leipzig/Halle Airport. Simply click on the icons on the map and then plan your route using the small route planner arrow.